- The officer shot on Sept. 27 had body camera turned off
- Drug case that won Darren Wilson an award at risk. Darren Wilson failed to show up for a hearing in the case on Monday.
- A tense Ferguson fears the worst is yet to come if grand jury does not indict Darren Wilson
- Mostly black cities, mostly white city halls
- Justice Department to ban profiling by federal law enforcement
- Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson opens up about being racially profiled by police
- The terrifying police shootings of unarmed black men
- Meet Patricia Bynes
- Gwen Ifill reflects on hosting PBS “After Ferguson
- Ferguson demands high fees to turn over city files. Charges media $135 per hour for response.
Seriously, my dad just encountered this and it should not be happening
just wanted to put this out there so nobody gets caught by it
There is an IRS PHONE SCAMgoing around
Basically, someone calls your phone and claims they are from the IRS. They tell you that you owe money because you incorrectly filled out your tax forms. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Then they tell you that you need to pay it immediately because it is a time sensitive issue. They threaten you with arrest, suspended drivers license, turning off your utilities, etc. They get extremely hostile and try to scare you into paying them.
There is so much wrong with this that these should be BIG red flags
The IRS does not call you first and immediately threaten arrest. Their first method of contact is mail, like legit snail-mail. They tend to send multiple notices before attempting to contact you another way. Threatening you with arrest is basically a last attempt to get you to pay your taxes and thats after meeting with tax attorneys or tax professionals to admit that you actually did something wrong. Or it is after an audit. They never try to be intimidating or manipulative. Every time I have talked to a member of the IRS, they have been kind and patient, and they attempting to resolve the issue as peacefully as possible.
Some helpful tips to remember if you think you are being scammed:
- NEVER give any pertinent information over the phone. This includes SSN, Birthdate, Credit Card information, etc. If they request you to and it is the actual IRS, you can ask if you can make an appointment to talk to someone in person at the office.
- Ask as many questions as possible that is relevant to the situation. You may think it is unnecessary, but one of those questions may stump the scammer and you may get a better idea of the scam.
- Always ask for a name/ID number for the IRS personnel you are dealing with. They all have them and that way if you call back, you can attempt to talk to the same person or check if they are an actual employee.
- DO NOT GIVE MONEY OVER THE PHONE. This is pretty much a always situation. Like it is almost impossible to know if you are talking to a legit employee or someone faking, so better safe than sorry.
Some hints that it is a scam:
- The person gives you a very generic name that could be faked like John Smith or something
- They claim they do not have an employee ID number. Federal employees get one so usually thats BS if they say they don’t have one. Not always but usually
- They become hostile or angry easily. Employees at any job tend to be working to make the customer happy, hence they attempt to avoid any harsh tones or angry words. If the person becomes irrationally angry or pushy, they are trying too hard to sell you something or get you to cooperate.
- They ask you to pay right then and there. And they do not accept it if you say you will call back or pay at another time. They make it sound like a life or death situation in order to force you into paying. Threats are made.
- They don’t call from a government number. This goes with the Caller ID sort of stuff, but if it does not say IRS, it most likely is not the actual IRS.
Some things to do after the phone call:
- Call the local police; even if you didn’t give in to the scam, it gives them an idea of the frequency of the scam and helps bring about awareness
- Tell everyone you know; Hence why I am writing this now lol If you get the word out, less people will become victims of it.
- Contact the IRS or some sort of government agency to make sure they are aware of the scam. The IRS has a contact number for scams that you can call and report it to.
Basically, keep an eye out. It would really suck if a bunch of people got trapped by this. The guy asked my dad for $1500 and I’m pretty sure thats a hefty amount for a lot of us to pay.
So pass this around and make sure to get the word out about the IRS Phone Scam
Last Night in Ferguson (9.28-9.29): Last night’s protest was one of the in Ferguson this month, proving once again that the residents of Ferguson/STL County are some of the most resilient and inspiring in all the land. The police were literally holding peaceful protesters hostage late into the night (folks who were complying with all police requests) so they could negotiate with the remaining folks to leave, but the protesters didn’t back down. Eventually all arrestees were released, and many plan to be back out there tonight.
Injustice in Ferguson continues, but despite it, community now thrives too. This is still happening. Are you still paying attention? #staywoke #farfromover
So, I really like me some Looney Tunes (along with anything that was a positive aspect of my childhood). I was initially worried that my style wouldn’t go well with Lola (who was one of my favourites), but hopefully that wasn’t the case.
The person next to her is Honey Bunny, a much older character. She didn’t really have a consistent model, but was commonly portrayed as looking identical to Bugs (and I can’t tell what personality she had, if any); I combined elements from Honey’s various designs to try and distinguish her from both Bugs and Lola.
Protesters are angry about these strange negotiations to release protesters. What kind of practice is this?
I feel like very few, or at least not many of the people of tumblr are aware of what is going on in my home country Hong Kong right now.
You guys gave alot of coverage and support when Scotland was voting for its independance, so I’m hoping you’ll all support the people of Hong Kong as well.
Right now, many of us are in a mass demonstration of pro-democracy against China. But wait a sec, isn’t Hong Kong China? This is a big misconception amongst foreigners, but please, we are far from being similar to China at all.
A little history class: Hong Kong used to be colonized by the British, and before you white-knights begin going all “them damn white racist ppl taking over another asian country” please don’t. We are thankful Britain took us under its wing and instilled in us values that I feel made us what we are today; that is, a democratic people with respect for free speech, amongst many things.
On the other hand, China is communist, with government controlled media and news. Google, instagram, facebook and many tv shows are blocked in China. It really is just a few steps from North Korea imo.
So what’s the problem here? Britain unfortunately had to hand back Hong Kong to China, but one of the requirements is that Hong Kong be allowed to operate as ‘one country two systems’, meaning Hong Kong should be able to have its own democratic government. But China has broken its promise. A while back, China tried to put a mandatory ‘national education’ curriculum in all our primary schools. We all know what that is; a communist brainwashing regime. And now, they have announced that in 2017 Hong Kong will be able to vote for its president; BUT only from 3 candidates hand picked by its PRO-BEIJING legislation.
As you can see, China is trying to takeover completely and turn us into another communist state.
Of course, we have taken to the streets. In a mirror if the Tiananmen protests, students have also stepped up to fight for our rights and our future, albeit in a peaceful protest of course. But the police force who have always been a friend of the people, are now responding with force, something that had never been done before in Hong Kong.
First it was pepperspray, then teargas. Then, armed forces came in qith rubber bullets. They warn they will come out with live ammunition soon if we do not get off the streets but the people continue to sit tight, disrupting businesses China so strive to takeover and make use of. It’s been 2 days now, but the people plan to continue at least till 1st October or even beyond. The significance is that October 1st is China’s National day, not ours, Hong Kong has not been granted it’s own National day.
Please spread the news. This is a country we’re talking about. These are my people.
You can join this event to wear yellow in support of my people on October 1st.
Just to add on- Hong Kong is one of the rare examples where it did kind of end up being better off under colonial rule. And before I get jumped on for being a neo-colonialist- I’m saying that as a person with Chinese ancestry whose great grandparents left China because of the accumulated poor situation caused by the Opium Wars and political strife in the early 1900s. Do not dichotomise conflicts outside the world as “White people oppressing POC”. Yes Chinese people have been victims at the hands of the British, then the Japanese- but today the Chinese government is culpable in corruption and human rights abuses- even against its own citizens in the mainland. There were thousands of disturbances last year in China over various issues like land grabs, corruption and pollution. The government has also been oppressing ethnic minorities like the Tibetans and Muslim Uighurs. What you see happening here in Hong Kong is another pattern in the behaviour of an authoritarian government that really needs to be held more accountable.
Yes, the Opium Wars fucked China up, but the Communists really ruined the country during the 1950s onwards with the disastrous Great Leap Forward. There was a horrible famine caused by state mismanagement- and by the end of it all, it’s estimated anywhere from 18 million to 45 million Chinese died. Far more than died in WW2. And then of course, the infamous Cultural Revolution where there were basically witch-hunts which just caused enormous upheaval and strife, where people were “outed” as “bourgeois” or capitalists or whatever and imprisoned, tortured and publicly humiliated. University students and professors were accused of being traitors. Even the Communist Party today acknowledges it was a complete disaster. While all of this was going on, by comparison, Hong Kong flourished under British rule.
The China you see today that is the world’s second largest economy is a product of Deng Xiaoping’s reform in the 1970s- which involved throwing out huge parts of the Communist economic policies to embrace capitalism- and putting a stop to the blind and rigid adherence to Communist ideology. Economically, China is in many ways very open to capitalism BUT politically, the government is pretty authoritarian still. And quite capable of oppression.
Do not lionise the Chinese government as this heroic “POC” country standing up to “white supremacy”, give them a free pass, or somehow think whatever they do cannot be as bad as Western imperialism. People with my skin colour are perfectly capable of oppression when they have institutional power. And they darned well better be called out for it.
Tell that to my OCs owo
YOU GUYS THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
Chief Jackson and the Ferguson police intentionally caused real harm tonight. Faked compassion then police swooped in & brutalized people.— Shaun King (@ShaunKing)September 26, 2014
Shit happened to Ferguson is happening in Hong Kong right now!
Students were just protesting peacefully for genuine democracy around Admiralty and Central, yet the police forced used pepper spray, tear gas and violence to disperse the crowd. According to the protesters, the police even raided a first aid booth with pepper spray.
His account was taken by someonebluecaughtmyattention after he switched urls (totally not a guilty move /s)
Here’s the second video where he says the rape comment [x]
Here’s the first where he ignores klok telling him she’s uncomfortable with showing herself ever again [x]
Here’s a copy/paste of a conversation between him and klok where he was convincing her to show him her breasts. Notice that she is clearly reluctant. [x]
Even though she did show her breasts, her tone was very easy to decipher. She was clearly reluctant and not into it and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that she did not want to do it. But not once did he back off or say, “Hey don’t worry about it if you’re not into it.” Not once did he say in that conversation anywhere that he cared about her feelings about it. He just kept pushing and pushing and guilting her until she finally said yes. That is manipulation. That is coercion. Then he recorded it without her knowing and held it over her head when she tried to come forward months ago, which is blackmail.
I want any girl that has been affected to come forward because I am absolutely livid this happened to such a sweet person as Klok. I want him on blast. If anyone needs more proof that what happened in the third link is true, I’m sure someonebluecaughtmyattention can record the thread. Funny thing about Skype, you can’t completely delete conversations. Thank fuck for that.
If anyone wants to fucking pull ‘well this should have been kept in private’ to detract from the conversation, I want you to think about what the fuck you are saying and why you are saying it.